How often have you gone online to find DIY hacks or credible solutions to achieve healthy hair? For those with thinning hair, fuller hair is a dream but what if we told you it is clinically achievable? With the advancement of technology, everything is possible. Our experts at Bodycraft clinic suggest some healthy hair tips brought out by our tried and tested treatment options.
So which one should you opt for – the Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) or Growth Factor Concentrate (GFC) treatment? Both of these provide optimum results for healthy hair growth and are trusted by hundreds of our consumers in India. Let’s look at both the treatments in-depth to understand which one is ideal for your hair.
What is GFC Treatment?
To get the most out of healthy hair, we also recommend the GFC hair treatment or Growth Factor Concentrate procedure. By using your own blood, the treatment uses a highly concentrated growth factor preparation that can be injected in the scalp and neck to promote hair growth. This is one of the most trusted dermatological procedures available today for hair restoration.
The GFC treatment for hair relies on obtaining several growth factors from your blood. These include platelet-derived growth factors, epidermal growth factors, insulin-like growth factors and even vascular endothelial growth factors. To administer this procedure, your dermatologist will,
- Take around 16 ml of your blood.
- Take around 40-50 minutes to derive the growth factor and prepare the GFC treatment for hair.
- The final output will have 7-8 ml of GFC hair treatment that will be injectable.
What are the Benefits of GFC Treatment?
The GFC treatment for hair has the following benefits,
- It helps with hair fall reduction, and make hair thicker and fuller in volume.
- It is highly suitable for those who are in the initial stages of Alopecia.
- It is suitable for both men and women. The blood is taken out through a syringe and the growth factor is further examined to prepare the GFC treatment for hair without any contamination.
- The procedure doesn’t derive any added blood cells like the PRP treatment.
It is also essential to note that the GFC treatment for hair takes around 3-4 sessions to start showing results. It is also clubbed with other topical or oral medications to reduce pain and swelling. Any side effects usually get resolved within a week of the treatment session.
View this post on Instagram
What is PRP Treatment?
PRP hair treatment translates to Platelet-rich Plasma which is a boon for the hair industry as a whole. It utilises rich blood plasma offered by your body to stimulate growth in your hair follicles. PRP for hair loss is quite common and has helped several individuals – both men and women – in getting a head full of hair in just a few sessions.
The PRP treatment improves the level of stem cells and collagen in the body thus promoting hair growth. Once you consult our dermatologist at a Bodycraft clinic near you, the procedure can be administered in the following ways,
- Your doctor will make an assessment of your medical history and areas of hair loss to administer the PRP treatment.
- With the use of injections, your own blood will likely be drawn from the arm. This will contain rich plasma to use for your hair.
- Through a centrifuge, the blood will be further examined for platelet rich plasma.
- After applying a local anaesthetic on your scalp, an injection containing this PRP treatment will be injected into the bald spots.
You will be able to see noticeable results after 3-4 weeks of getting PRP for hair loss. By this time, any pain or swelling in the scalp will also reduce completely.
What are the Benefits of PRP Treatment?
The PRP treatment is for anyone facing hair thinning or balding. You can benefit from this treatment in the following ways,
- Since men are more susceptible to hair loss and balding, PRP for hair loss is ideal. Women with thinning hair can also benefit from this procedure.
- Anyone suffering from male or female pattern balding, most commonly known as alopecia, can consider getting a PRP treatment done.
- Hair loss caused by stress, drastic weather changes, poor diet and lifestyle habits and even using harsh products can be restored through this procedure.
It is also important to understand that PRP for hair loss doesn’t reverse balding. If you’re completely bald, this procedure is not meant for you. The added benefit of this treatment is that there is no downtime post procedure and you can go back to your normal routine instantly.
View this post on Instagram
Both PRP and GFC treatment for hair are ideal for hair growth in today’s times, especially post-COVID where hair loss is a common situation for most individuals. Your dermatologist will be able to determine which of these is more suitable for you after cross-examining your medical history against your current hair loss symptoms.
Book an online appointment or visit your nearest Bodycraft clinic for an appointment today to ensure that healthy hair knocks at your doorstep soon.
FAQs around PRP & GFC Treatments
I’m 18 and have thin hair. Can I go for a PRP treatment?
The reason for hair thinning can span across several factors including poor diet and lifestyle habits. We would recommend getting a consultation done with one of our dermatologists at Bodycraft to understand the severity of hair thinning and thereby recommend the right treatment option for you.
How soon can I see results after getting PRP for hair loss?
Every PRP session spans across a month. You can see desirable results as you proceed with each session.
Is GFC treatment for hair better than PRP?
The GFC treatment for hair utilises a concentrated solution drawn from your own blood that is derived from growth factors. On the other hand, the PRP treatment draws platelet-rich plasma, platelet-poor plasma and other red blood cells from your blood. Only the platelet-rich plasma is used in the end. Both treatment options have their differences and your dermatologist will be able to best determine what works for your hair.
How soon can I go back to my normal routine post the GFC hair treatment?
Since the GFC treatment for hair spans across 3-4 sessions to start seeing desirable results, it takes around a week to minimise the side effects. You can go back to your normal routine as soon as the pain and swelling decrease.